Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Next time try listening

I feel myself quite dumb now. Because Ubuntu comes with two default workspaces I tought that's like all you can get. I have even been complaining over it! And today I suddenly realized that you can actually have as many as you want. But how could I have known? It never even crossed my mind that you can go to the settings and set the number of workspaces you want. I think this is super cool because it's like the number one feature that prevents me switching back to Windows. I just got to have more space than just one lousy desktop.

Little while ago O. asked me to try out Queens of the Stone Age. And when someone kindly asks me to try something out, I really give it a try. Instead of just listening to one song like once and deciding not to like it because "it just didn't sound like whatever the crap I'm normally listening to", I choose one or two albums and then I really listen to them several times - with thought.

I didn't like Queens of the Stone Age at first. I felt as it was seriously lacking some edge and therefore I couldn't understand the point listening to it. But I simply didn't gave up. The trick is to find the one song you could like. In my case it was "Skin on Skin" from the album "Lullabies to Paralyze" and I kept listening to it more than other songs. And before I even noticed "Little Sister" started to sound quite awesome too, then "You Got a Killer Scene There, Man..." Song after song Queens of the Stone Age just won me over. And you know what? It doesn't lack any edge. It's just a different weapon I'm used to and therefore it took more time to find it.

So next time someone sincerely recommends you a band, give it a honest chance. You might actually surprise.

3 comments:

  1. Hyvä neuvo! Todellakin pitää perehtyä ennen kuin voi sanoa pitääkö vai ei. Tai tietysti jostain voi sanoa suoraan...

    Toi Little Sister oli aika hyvä, ihan näppärä biisi. Mun oma QOTSA -suosikki on ehdottomasti No One Knows, siinä on tosi omaperäinen melodia eikä se oo liian heviä. Ja siis ei ollut heviä toi Little Sisterkään. Mutta jotain mitä oon niiltä kuullut on sitten vähän raskaampaa, mistä en niin pidä.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Siinä on vaan se et mun mielestä juuri mikään musa ei ekalla kerralla kuulosta miltään. Sit jos kuitenkin vaivautuu soittamaan taustalla pari kertaa samalla ku tekee muuta, ni saattaa tajuta et täähän onkin hyvä.. Yleensä suurin osa on kuitenkin ees jotenkin hyviä. Pitäis vaan vaivautua yrittää kuunnella. Mut kellä on ees aikaa olla kokoajan ajatuksella kuulemassa. No, ei mulla ainakaan. :p Mut olis kyl hyvä jos vois tykästyä useemmin uuteen musaan ku hyvät kuuntelee nopeesti puhki, ja sit on et äh mitä seuraavaks..

    (Toi word verification on joskus törkeen vaikee. Senhän pitäis olla ihmisille tarkotettu. Hirveetä syrjintää :()

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iiks, en tiennyt että mulla on tuollainen word verification riesana. Se kun ei näy mulle kun mähän en tietty omaa blogiani spammaa :D Otin sen nyt pois. Joku olisi kyllä saanut valittaa aikaisemmin :D

    Mulla tulee arkisin kuunneltua musiikkia ajatuksella ainakin kahden tunnin ajan. Mp3-soitin kun soi tauotta matkalla töihin ja töistä takaisin kotiin. Bussissa on just hyvä kun voi vaan istua ja oikeesti keskittyä siihen musiikkiin. Kotona ei ikinä pääsis samaan tilaan.

    ReplyDelete