Monday, March 09, 2009

Tea bread... for muffin lovers

Last night I had a dream that J.R. wanted a bread machine. I guess I had the dream because we ate a super yummy baguette with tomatoes, pepperoni and cheese before going to bed... Anyway. Couple years ago my aunt gave me a silicone muffin tin. It was a very thoughtful gift, but after I tried it twice I decided it's no good for baking muffins. At the time I also liked to bake tea bread, because it was so easy to do. I didn't like its dryness though. No matter how I tweaked the recipe, it was always too dry for my taste. Until I tried to combine these two things... and later some cottage cheese too.

Here's the recipe:

Tea bread for muffin lovers
(no baking skills required, makes about six large muffins)

Mix these dry ingredients in a bowl:

about 2 dl of wheat flour
about 2 dl of oatmeal
about 2,5 teaspoons of baking powder
about 2 dl of cottage cheese (and some grated cheese too if you want)
(a pinch of salt if your cheese is salt-free or if you just like salt)

Add these ingredients to the bowl too and mix:

about 35 grams of melted butter (or little less or little more depending on how your diet is going)
about 1,5 dl of milk

Make about six muffins (use the silicone muffin tin, duh?) and put some grated cheese on the top. Put in the oven (225°C) and let them bake for 15 minutes.


Ready to be eaten by J.R. He loves these.

Unlike regular tea bread (= made out the same recipe without cottage cheese), tea bread muffins are very moist and cheesy. And they taste perfect with... tea. Who wouldn't have guessed. Anyway. If you don't have cottage cheese, you can replace it with regular grated cheese (the muffins will be less moist then, though). And if you don't have a silicone muffin tin, you can make just one flat bread (pat it flat with your mealy hand and poke it with a fork) on a tin. Or if you're on a diet, use skim milk and cut down with the grated cheese... You simply can't go wrong with this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment