Thursday, July 31, 2008

Always like this

Last weekend I watched Léon (the European cut of course) with J.R. It was the first time for him but I have seen it several times already since it's one of my favorite movies. Anyway. There is this one scene I have always loved. It's the one in which Mathilda asks Léon "Is life always this hard, or is it just when you're a kid?" and he answers "Always like this".

mathilda
It's not that hard though, Mathilda.

And Léon is totally telling the truth. Life is always hard. I have this sort of a friend who's really open about what goes on in his life so he doesn't even bother to hide the fact that he's on antidepressants. Little while ago some girl turned him down because she thought he was somehow imbalanced and even dangerous. I've always thought he's totally harmless. He just says things out loud that normal people are not used to, and that's enough to scare some people away.

It's quite funny actually. How we always have to hide our dark side or otherwise we're like crazy. Why can't we just face it? We all have a dark side, out of doubt. Hiding it does not mean that it doesn't exist. My dark side, for example, is depressed, self-destructive and sometimes even suicidal. And I'm OK with that because I know it's just one side of me. And as long as there are other sides too I'm not worried.

Life is hard so, hell yeah, we get depressed once in a while. And if you get super duper depressed, you should be seeking for help. That's all.

1 comment:

  1. I often find it impossible to seek help when I probably most need it. Ironic.

    I agree that it's ridiculous to hide your dark side. But we all need that denial I suppose.

    ReplyDelete