Tuesday, January 12, 2010

One cursed laptop, one craptop and one thing completely new

I got a new laptop. Like, FINALLY. I ran into several crucial problems with my old laptop. At first the screen started to flicker and cast strange shadows, and then some serious memory problems occurred. All in the very short period of time. OK. The laptop was send to Sweden and back. The process took weeks. When it came back after the first "repair", the laptop started to experience some odd occasional paralyzes. It just stopped working for several minutes, which was really frustrating. The laptop was sent back to Sweden again. And guess what? All they did was some lousy Vista recovery that solved absolutely nothing! And soon after the second "repair" my laptop simply died. It didn't boot anymore. And they said there were no problem in the first place. They knew nothing...

Sigh. After another trip to Sweden, I got my laptop back again and it worked fine for some time, but then the screen decided to duplicate itself in a very abnormal way. This time the laptop was sent to Holland instead of Sweden and the Asus people finally admitted that my laptop was no good and offered me a new one. Hooray! And second hooray for the fact that my old laptop wasn't manufactured anymore, so they had to offer me a better one! I'm not even bitter about all the weeks I had to wait for my laptop, since the new one is so much sweeter. And by the way, I'm still pretty much convinced that my old laptop was somehow cursed and this new one will work without problems.

And what did I got? First of all, one seriously big screen for a laptop. My old laptop was quite big-ish for a laptop, but my new one is even bigger. I don't carry my laptop around, so the 18,4-inch screen was very welcomed. And it's like HD if that changes anything. I don't care so much about the specs, since I believe that most of the current laptops would satisfy my web surfing needs, but it's sure that everything has been upgraded now. We were just mostly concerned about the graphics card, since many laptops have really lousy ones. Luckily Asus offered me a laptop that had a better one than in my old laptop, and the old graphics card was pretty decent too. The Sims 3 looks still nice.

There's actually only two things that have dramatically changed with this new laptop. The keys of the keyboard are really big and it took some time to adjust. I don't know how much bigger they are, but at first they felt really big. And the second thing is the look of the laptop. My old laptop was quite nice looking too, but the new one is seriously sleek and stylish. I love silver with black and thin stripes and swirls!


We have some fancy curtains, haven't we?



The thin stripes don't really show in the picture, but on the other hand, the swirls don't show in a normal light either. I noticed them for the first time after I took the pictures! It was quite bizarre actually to discover the new details. They're were like hidden for me to find. Anyway. If you wonder why there's some crappy book under my laptop, it's my trick to make laptops more "ergonomic" for me. I've discovered that the front edges of laptops hurt my wrists when I write, so I tilt the laptop a bit to stop the hurting. Simple, yet effective. Mmm... Now I just hope that the new laptop fits to my old laptop case.

That's all I wanted to say about my new baby. Now I can move on to the very important lesson I have in store for you: Don't get rid of your old laptop just because you got a better one. It feels really good to have a backup laptop when the newer one lets you down. No matter how crappy it might me, it's still better than no laptop at all. My backup laptop is so crappy that I call it a craptop, or "luuska" in Finnish, but it has saved me countless times from total devastation. I'll never get rid of it. (By the way, it's not Asus...)

3 comments:

  1. Näyttää tosi hienolta toi sun uus läppäri. Onko toi vista vai seiska?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My big brother took my old laptop..sniff..it was a true craptop too! And that Swedish hoodoo thing, creepy!

    Those swirls looked like dirt at first :D But it's a cool idea anyway. It looks so much like mine! You could just replace Asus with Acer!

    Aren't we like laptop buddies now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hanz: Vista :(

    Elina: I first thought there was something funny going on with my camera, but when I looked really closely, I was able to see the swirls with my own eyes too, though it was hard. They're really subtle.

    ReplyDelete