Thursday, November 12, 2009

Papu's Piggy Treats

We are going to Viiala for the weekend, so we decided to bake some doggie treats for my mother's dachshund. Papu has eaten almost all the treats I baked her last time. I thought they were too hard, but after all they weren't. They were just hard to crack into pieces. I bought a smaller cookie cutter so the size shouldn't be a problem anymore. J.R. also rolled the dough thinner this time, so they should be easier to crack too. And now it seems that we have a perfect, simple doggie treat recipe, so why not to share it with you? Here it is:

Papu's Piggy Treats

Makes 25-30 small treats

List of ingredients:
  • 30 grams of minced meat (that's not much)
  • 1 tbsp of vegetative oil (quite optional if the minced meat is not low-fat)
  • 0,5 dl of consommé (about 0,2 US cups)
  • 1,75 dl of wheat flour (about 0,7 US cups)
  • 0,75 dl of cooked rice (or barley or a mix of both) (about 0,3 US cups)
  • 1 tsp of oregano

Doggie treats before baking.

Making:
  1. Fry the minced meat.
  2. Use a hand blender or similar to chop and mix the minced meat and consommé.
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Add the flour little by little until you think it makes a nice dough.
  4. Roll the dough (0,5cm thick is OK) and cut the cookies.
  5. Bake in 170°C (338°F) for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes turn off the oven, open it a little and let the cookies dry in the after heat.
If preserved in an airtight jar or similar, the cookies should stay good for months.


Doggie treats after baking. They still look the same, no surprises here.

They don't look so yummy to me, but Papu is crazy for them. Maybe she knows that we have baked them with love. They don't really smell that much, and I'm not sure if they taste so wonderful either, because I have not tasted them by myself (though I could, they're not poisonous).


She wants it. She wants it really bad.


Outside the picture Papu's tail is wagging like crazy.


FINALLY!

After these two experiences with DIY doggie treats, I'm very positive that I will bake them in the future too. Like why not? Papu loves them more than she loves her commercial doggie biscuits, they're cheap and very, very easy to do. Just make some Chili con Carne or any other food with minced meat and rice and take some aside and bake the biscuits later. So ridiculously effortless!

3 comments:

  1. Jan (jcoop on ravelry&twitter)November 13, 2009 2:35 AM

    Thanks so much for sharing your recipe. I think I'll try it on my CoCo (a toy poodle). Your little piggie shapes are adorable. Papu certainly looks like she adores them--that's pure adoration in those lovely dark eyes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan: I highly recommend you to try it, since it's so simple. There's no fancy, hard to get ingredients (except consommé maybe, I don't know how widely that is used, but since even we had it, it can't be that rare :P) and I think it's almost impossible go wrong with these. As long as the dough is dough-like, they will turn out OK. Can't really overbake them either. See, it's clearly a perfect recipe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Piggies! :D To me it seems funny that you would put the same kind of spices into dog food as into human food. But I don't really know anything about dog tastes. It's cool though that she likes them better than commercial cookies! Shows how much better any home-cooked meal really is!

    ReplyDelete